Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Sept 2014 Spotlight Artist Mindcage

                                 Sept 2014 Spotlight Artist                                                 

                                       Mindcage




 Mindcage formed in 1996 but the core members of the band Dietrick Hardwick (guitar), Brian Howell (bass) and Craig Nudo (drums) — have been connected personally and through music for almost thirty years. With the addition of power vocalist Jeff Hignite in 2012 the circle become complete to form this stellar band with a very original sound. Mindcage  had some of there music from the latest release debut at ProgPower and have a fast growing loyal fan base.

Mindcage's sound revolves around Harkwicks guitar style that draws influences from icons of the 80's metal like Micheal Schenker, Uli Roth and Wolf Hoffmann. Brian Howell and Craig Nudo's roots lie more with prog bands like Yes, Rush and Irom Maiden. When adding in powerful vocals of Jeff Hignite the band takes on its own personality and style while paying tribute to there influences.

Reviews By Jon caught up with Jeff Hignite and talked a bit about the band the music and his own personal music journey!!!






RBJ
When did you start singing?

JH
I had this old black 84 Firebird when I was a teenager. When I was alone cruising around I would try and belt out tunes from what I now call my influences. No formal training....Just went for it. I always played guitar and did the band thing. I ended up working with a group of guys and the guitar player was much better then I, So I tried the lead mic. Meanwhile....20 years later lol


RBJ
Was there a lot of music in the home growing up and other musicians in the family?

JH
Not really at all, My Dad once taught me how to make a kazoo out of a hair comb and a tissue paper...lol. As a kid I had one of those small organs that had the note letters above the keys and a song book with a bunch old crusty tunes that were super simple to play. I remember that was a cool feeling to be able to make music that I heard before. It was not long before I was making up stuff. Once I seen Kiss and Ace's guitar catch fire and fly away....I focused on guitar, I chased it!!

RBJ
What is the band up to right now any shows coming up?

JH
We just released the special edition for the digital download, The last two years have been very busy. I think this next month or so we are going to kick our feet up and relax a bit. We have some stuff lined up between California and Texas after the first of the new year. Something could come up between now and then and we will post it, Keep an eye on us though.

RBJ
The new album is amazing what was the writing process on it and is it a concept album?

JH
Thank you man, The writing was a crazy thing. Dietrick and I met back in early 2012 we exchanged some song clips that had us knowing we wanted to work with each other. He sent me one of the songs that is now one of the tunes on Ow Own Devices. In August of that year he had the concept idea and using that ...I ran with it. He sent me more songs and within the first week or so I had already scratched out two of those songs and we knew we were on to something. I knew he was friends with Micheal Wagener and I suggested Deke to send him one of these scratch tunes to him. Deke was not sure about that because he did not think Micheal would be into the whole progressive type of metal we had going on. I pushed a bit more with the thought that at least we may get some advice,, You know,, Who would be the right person to talk to about something like this. Dietrick agreed and sent Micheal an email with one of those songs and a couple weeks went by and we got a response. He wanted us in the studio at the beginning of December and told us we had a chance to make it happen....get to work on it!!! By then it was already well into September and we had the rest of the album to write!!! From that moment on every free moment I had was writing the vocal melodies and recording scratches. Deke would send me lyric ideas and I would chop them up and add my own, make it work with that melody flow I had. I wrote a lot of lyrics on my own as well and together we tweaked everything into line with the concept. The writing process continued even after we walked into Micheal's studio on December 4th. It was chaos and somehow it all fell into place. Meeting Julie Westlake (Hydrogyn) settled the nerves when she nailed her parts in a way we never imagined...So Yeah Crazy!!


RBJ
The latest album is mixed and pre-mastered by rock legend Micheal Wagener (Metallica, Ozzy, Skid Row, Dokken, Megadeth) How was it working with someone that has been involved with some of the most legendary stuff ever made?
  
JH
Micheal is a fine tuned, seasoned, battle hardened, creative, direct professional. He has an awesome personality and adds just the right amount of intensity into a recording situation that makes you want to deliver all you've got. If you have a solid idea...that man will help you turn it up a notch or ten. He can hear what is needed where and you're like wondering ''Ok where is this going'' while he is pulling out different instruments to add to the mix. I can say my time working with him has been a complete honor. I hope to one day work with him again with a good load of work, and a budget that can keep us at it longer then a month.




                                                                  Micheal Wagener


RBJ
The music is different then most music in similar styles what would you classify the music as far as genre?

JH
I call it ''Metal'' I have heard other call it classic metal, and progressive metal. The guys count past 4 so yeah, it has a prog elements to it...lol. I hear some of everything I like in metal in what we do. I'm not a fan of the whole genre label stuff. Of course your influences will show...some bands it stands out more then others. I'm happy that OOD seems to be translating to people a sense of being taken back to the day they first got into certain types of metal. But saying at the same time that Mindcage does that wile being unique, and original. I seen review after review with comparisons that just blow my mind I'm just happy people like it!


RBJ
Our Own Devices has some amazing artwork who designed it and how did it come together?

JH
Mattias Noren is the man Dietrick works with the most. I'm not sure about any of the rest, That would be a question for Deke.
RBJ
You did a amazing video for the track ''The Human Race'' Tell us about what filming that video was like and where did you film it?

JH
We filmed it between the Pensacola Little Theater and a scrap yard. It was directed by Jason Thomsen and produced by Kinematic Music. That crazy outfit was hot as hell...but it was fun. Jason is a great guy to work with. Jeanna Kapetanis did an amazing job and brought the character of ''Arabella Vash'' to life in the video. Good people and good times.


RBJ
The band had there music debut at Progpower last year what was it like and what all happened

JH
We were one of the sponsors of the event. We came into the fold a little late and there was already a huge list of amazing bands playing. We set up a meet and greet booth there and each night between the two main acts of the night they played our video on the big screen for everyone. That venue was the actual video debut. Dietrick has many years and old ties with friends in the prog community I met a lot of awesome people there. I'm a newbie to the prog stuff, I wish I could make it this year. Jon Oliva would be amazing to see live, That is one of my influences.....For Real.

RBJ
Why music? Why not a lawyer, doctor, accountant or pizza delivery driver?

JH
Well, I never wanted to be a doctor or lawyer, I did my time delivering pizza many years ago...lol. This day in age it takes some really great things happening to get music to pay the bills. Especially music you wrote. I did my time in the cover band thing too. I'm not saying I'd never do it again...Maybe in the nursing home circuit, If I live that long...lol. Maybe the right question to ask a musician in an original band that has not scored a gold record is ''So, what do you actually do for money'' lol. Yes we all have our ''Day Jobs'' for now'' We are all seasoned musicians and we have all done the due paying...aka Living out of a van and thriving off the dollar menu. We have been taking steps in the music world that makes sense for us. I don't believe there is one only way to do things in this biz. The whole industry has changed from what it was into something that is hard to get going without 1. A great product, 2. Some money to pay people to push PR and promote it for you. Full service recording contracts for non main stream bands are pretty rare these days. So we do what we do and wait for those right moments to throw everything we got into it. I choose music because it is part of me, I would not consider doing anything else if I could sustain life as just a musician. That sure...is my dream. To be nothing but....a musician, minus the ten can on the street corner.... lol

                                                Julie Westlake (Hydrogen) and Jeff Hignite


The band Mindcage is such a great band with so much passion that flows into there music. The latest release is such a great concept album that really shows off the pure raw talent this entire band has. I for see this band pushing there way into the ears and hearts of the metal and prog community cause they are the real deal in every way. Jeff was a pleasure to talk to and he really is such a amazing singer and music is his life and his love!! Reviews By Jon has also done up a review of the album cause it is not every day we get albums like this that come in that show such power and diversity.

You can find Mindcage on the web at
http://mindcageofficial.com/
www.facebook.com/mindcageband













No comments:

Post a Comment